Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Davey Jackson won't let me sleep.

The long gone Mountain Man. Davey Jackson. The name sake of Jackson Hole Wyoming.

Many years ago, with clattering hoofs of horses, a mountain man and his small pack train came wandering down  the Gos Venture  canyon in the year of 1822. Stopping on a ridge, the ol' trapper reigned up his horse and standing up in his stirrups placed  his hand over his brow. "My my, what a wonder!" He exclaimed, gazing across the proud vista of the Teton mountain range. The glistening sun sparkled on the river with tributaries feeding through the sagebrush meadows, blending into the mighty Snake River.

This world famous river was named by earlier visitors, the Shoshone,  Blackfoot, Cro, and Nez Perce Indians. Ol' Davey Jackson had found his trappin's. For many years the husky bearded trapper would visit this God given haven. In later years the other associates of the fur trade would pay their respects to the bounties of this place which many called Jackson's Hole. A valley surrounded by mountains, the name took root and has given the same thrill to visitors throughout the world. Jackson Hole has had miles of film and volumes of photo albums collected fro family treasures. Spreading the wonders of this magnificent valley to many who want to call it home. The mountains stand ever guarding and watching the comings and goings of the travelers, dignitaries , and movie production  companies, as it once watched the trappin's and life of  mountain man, Davey Jackson.

I have been drawn to Davey  for quite some time now. The other night I awoke out of a sleep hearing the words clear as day "Wake up Davey Jackson!" This was a voice commanding me to wake up this sleeping giant of a mountain man! How can I ignore that? I can't. Not anymore.

Thus my plan to immortalize him through a bronze statue. There isn't one of him anywhere in the world. He founded one of the most famous places on earth and there isn't a memorial. That is not okay with me and I don't think it is okay with his posterity.

I shared this story with a good friend and inspired relative, Mark Peterson, as we traveled through Jackson Hole and he has been reminding me of it ever since.

Well, Mark and my old friend Davey, I'm begining the intial stages of the bronze statue tommorow.

It all starts with a sketch....




No comments:

Post a Comment