Friday, February 10, 2012

Wait until you see what I'm up to now!!!!

David E. Jackson, mountain man and trapper, the namesake of Jackson Hole, later named Davey Jackson by his trapper friends. His favorite trapping grounds was a basin surrounded by mountains, rivers and streams, and was an  excellent hunting and trapping area,  later named by his fellow trappers as "Jackson's Hole". An area surrounded by mountains was named by trappers of that era to be a "hole".

Here is my challenge as an older artist! To recreate my old friend, Davey Jackson, for all the world to see. I will take you along on this journey with me. I did this once already, you know.

Many years ago I created this piece in  the famous town of Jackson Hole itself. The piece was too large and never finished. The desire to recreate it has burned in my heart ever since.

Join me on this adventure by following the creation process through my blog, as I tribute the  famous Davey Jackson.


Here is the original study of the monument I want to make of Davey Jackson. I made this smaller bronze about 1986 in my younger years. It is 13 inches tall. I do have some castings still available for those interested.


Much to the dismay of my associates I have very few pictures of myself sculpting. But here is one for you to enjoy. I am sculpting Beaver Dick Lee, first settler of  Teton Basin. settled with his Shoshone Indian wife, Jennie Lee, and their five children. She raised those children in a tee pee in the Teton Mountain Range. I am currently writing a book about Jennie Lee of the Tetons. More information to come on that topic!


 I find these people fascinating! I can't wait to take you on their journey's with me.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, we were lucky enough to receive the Davey Jackson sculpture as a gift many years ago. Would you be so kind to tell me the value of it for our insurance company? Thank you so much! Sincerely, Diane Gerdin

    ReplyDelete